Irish Potato Candy

I found this recipe a number of years ago. I wasn't sure how it would go over... "candy made out of mashed potatoes?" But to my surprise, as well as everyone elses, these tasted a lot like an Almond Joy candy bar.  A bit seeter though.  Now, making a batch of these has become one of our family's St Patrick's Day traditions.
*
INGREDIENTS
2/3 cup cold mashed potato
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups shredded coconut
semi-sweet chocolate, melted
almonds (optional)
*
DIRECTIONS
Cream together mashed potato and sugar; add butter, vanilla, and salt. Blend well. Stir in coconut.
*
*
To melt chocolate:
Place desired amount of chocolate into a microwave dish. If I am using store bought chocolate chips, I'll add a sliver of butter to help smooth in out. Warm in microwave for 60 seconds, stir. Microwave for additional time if needed, 15 seconds at a time.
*
*
To make bonbons:
Form mixture into 1 inch balls. Chill until firm. Top with or dip into melted chocolate.  Sprinkle sliced almonds onto the top of bonbon.  I crushed my sliced almonds a bit.
*
*
To make bars:
Press mixture into ungreased square baking dish (or mold into desired shape), so that mixture is 1 inch thick. Add almonds if desired. Chill until firm. Cut into squares and pour melted chocolate over mixture.  My kids love to help out in the kitchen. Maddy, my 10 year old daughter, made this batch.
*
*
To make an Almond Joy Copycat:
Form mixture into an rounded rectangle, about 2 inches long and 1 inch thick. Press two almonds on top. Chill until firm. Dip into or top with melted chocolate.
*

Comments

Popular Posts