Blossoms and Fruit

"I looked out the window and what did I see?" Beautiful blossoms filling the trees. I love this time of year!
*
I grew up in Orem, Utah. I have wonderful memories of picking cherries from the trees, and visiting the corner fruit stands. (Stratton's, Crandall's, and other local fruit growers.)
*
A few years ago my husband's job brought us to Clovis, California. The Blossom Trail is in full bloom here. The orchards take me back to the neighborhoods I grew up in.


How to recognize the blossoms you see...
*
Apple Blossoms have white petals.
*
Peach and Nectarine Blossoms feature pink to red petals and bloom at the same time. Over 100 varieties are grown commercially.
*
Citrus Blossoms are white with most aromatic fragrance.
*
Almond Blossoms have white petals. Two or more varieties may be planted in the same orchard for cross pollination by bees.
*
Plum Blossoms are white. At least two varieties will be planted in an orchard for cross pollination. Over 200 varieties are grown commercially.
*
Apricot Blossoms have pink petals. Fewer than 12 varieties are grown commercially.
*
Photo Source: Terri Smith, Freshaire Adventures
Information Source: Fresno Blossom Trail

Comments

Popular Posts