Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
My mom loves Lemon Meringue. This recipe isn't your classic Lemon Meringue, but it may be something she'd enjoy. Now, if I didn't live 12 hours away I might make her a batch for Mother's Day.
lemon cake mix (18 oz box)
8 oz Cool Whip
1 egg white, plus 1 cup egg whites
2 cups milk
2 pkgs (3.4 oz) instant lemon pudding mix
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 lemon, zested
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray.
2. Mix together cake mix, Cool Whip and 1 egg white. Spoon 1 Tbsp of mix into each muffin tin. Press into the bottom of the tin as you would a pie crust. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pan and placing onto a cookie sheet.
3. Mix 2 cups milk and 2 pkgs pudding together, mixture will be thick. Add 1 Tbsp pudding mix onto each cake and spread.
4. Raise oven temp to 425 F.
5. Beat the remaining 1 cup of egg whites until soft peaks form, then add sugar and cream of tartar. Mix until stiff peaks form. Fold in the zest of 1 lemon. Spread or pipe 1 Tbsp of meringue on top of each cake. Cover the top completely. Bake until tips are slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
recipe source: FoodNetwork