London Broil

I have to admit I stayed away from making the London Broil because it intimidated me. But after making it the first time, I giggled and thought to myself, "That was easy!" It has become one of our favorite dishes.
*
A little side note: London Broil is a method of cooking, not a cut of meat. Originally, flank steak was the main cut of meat used, but over the years the method has been used with almost any cut of meat that is lean and less tender such as steak or sirloin roasts. I have even seen a turkey roast used. I'll let you know when I try it myself.
*


*
INGREDIENTS
beef (flank steak, or any other cut of meat that is lean and less tender)
salt (this is the only seasoning I use)
* If you choose to marinate: A few other good London Broil marinade flavors include
olive oil, garlic, cumin, oregano, ginger, soy sauce, and even honey.

*

DIRECTIONS

1. Generously salt both sides of the meat. (or marinate the meat in a sealed plastic bag for a few hours or overnight - in refrigerator of course.)
2. A
llow the meat to come to room temperature, about one hour. This will pull some of the liquid from the meat. After an hour, rinse the salt from the meat, pat it dry and sprinkle with pepper and more salt.

3. Place the meat on a rimmed sheet pan.

4. Broil it under a preheated broiler - 4 inches below the heat source - for 10 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees.
5. Remove the meat from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes so that the juices can redistribute, and don't run out when you cut the meat.
6.
Slice the meat very thinly on a diagonal across the grain. This severs the tough fibers in the meat, making it chewable.

Comments

Popular Posts